What is Stress ?
Stress is the “Wear and Tear” our bodies experience as we adjust to our continually changing environment; it has physical and emotional effects on us and can create positive or negative feelings.
Stress is the way you react to challenges and changes around you. These changes and challenges can be either positive or negative.
Even positive changes can lead to stress?? Yes Indeed!!!
Any one of the following can create feelings of stress
✓ Change – Change in life always has an unsettling effect.
✓ Outside Threat – We may feel challenged whenever there is a seemingly external threat.
✓ Loss of Control – Whenever we experience a loss of personal control, we invite stress.
Is All Stress Bad ?
- Stress is not always bad thing. Stress is simply the body’s response to changes that create taxing demands.
- Mild forms of stress can act as a motivator and energizer.
- However, if your stress level is too high, medical and social problems can result.
Positive Stress :
- Positive stress helps you to concentrate or channel your energies to perform well.
- Without positive stress, most people would never reach their full potential.
Negative Stress :
- If stress is constant or the challenges you face are outside your ability or control, you may experience negative stress.
- Negative stress can affect your health and well-being, causing many ailments, ranging from tension, headaches to heart-attacks.
- It is therefore vital that you learn to manage your stress in order to have a happier, healthier and more productive life.
Managing Stress :
- The first step is to become aware of the things which cause you stress and how you feel when you are stressed.
- The second step is taking charge of yourself and the situation to the maximum extent possible.
- Thirdly, a positive attitude to life and a healthy lifestyle are key tools in reducing negative stress.
MINDFULLNESS IS WAY OF LIFE
Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what are we doing and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what is going on around us.
Mindfulness and Stress
Mindfulness and not only reduces stress but also gently builds an inner strength so that future stressors have less impact on our happiness and physical well-being.
How does mindfulness help us control stress levels ?
- Become more aware of our thoughts, emotions
- Do not immediately react
- Be able to focus
- Switch attitude towards stress
- Become sensitive to the needs of your body
Attitude towards Stress :
- Non judging, Non Striving
- Patience, Trust
- Letting go
We have a choice :
Is it time to press the PAUSE BUTTON ?
- Don’t React
- Pause and Respond
- “Between the stimulus and response, there is a space and in that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response” – Victor Frank.